Cold conditions continue across the region and many of us are still keeping warm by a cozy fire. Advanced Chimney Sweeps of Atlanta GA would like to remind homeowners of necessary safety measures to take when heating your home with a fireplace.
Tips for Burning a Safe Fire in Your Fireplace
Advanced Chimney Sweeps of Marietta offers complete services for chimney repair and cleaning including: chimney sweeping, chimney and fireplace inspections, chimney repairs, prevention of creosote build up and the replacement of old rusted chimney caps. Customer safety and satisfaction is our priority. If you suspect a problem with your chimney, contact us for a service call with one of our qualified technicians.
- Clear the area around your fireplace and chimney. Debris close to the fireplace could cause a fire. Make sure your exterior chimney is clear of any hanging branches.
- Check the flue for nests before starting a fire.
- Use a screen to protect carpets and furniture from igniting due to a stray spark.
- Don't over load your fireplace-- make a fire that fits. And never burn garbage, Christmas trees or other debris.
- Always keep a fire extinguisher on hand & be sure that it is in good working condition.
- Make sure your fire detectors are also in good working order throughout the home.
- Choose the right type of wood (preferably seasoned wood) and place towards the back or elevated on a grate.
- Never leave your fire unattended!
- Be sure to have your fireplace inspected and cleaned annually by a certified chimney sweep. A dirty fireplace can cause chimney fires or contribute to air pollution.
- Keep your fireplace in good working condition. If you notice any cracks in the chimney, and any loose mortar or brick, have your chimney repaired. Have the chimney liner inspected for cracking or deterioration.
Posted in: Chimney fire safety, Chimney Inspection Marietta, Chimney Sweeps Georgia, Uncategorized