It's the most wonderful time of the year to relax near a festive fireplace and enjoy the warmth and glow of a crackling fire. While many homeowners have decked the halls AND mantel with seasonal decorations, precautions should be taken to ensure a safe holiday fire.
Advanced Chimney Sweeps of Atlanta recommends having your chimney cleaned every year by a licensed professional to be sure that it is functioning properly and free of safety hazards. A clean chimney can prevent house fires as well as exposure to danger creosote smoke and vapor. During cleaning, a chimney should also be checked for structural damage or cracks in the flue lining which can also cause house fires.
In addition to a clean chimney, follow these Fireplace Safety Tips this holiday and all year long...
Enjoy your safe and festive holiday fire by taking the proper precautions this holiday season.
Got questions about your chimney and it's need for a cleaning? Contact us today for an free estimate. Advanced Chimney Sweeps of Marietta Georgia wishes you a safe and happy holiday season.
- Holiday Decorations & Packages: keep them at a distance. Do not place them near any fire source.
- Wrapping Paper: Do not burn boxes, garbage or wrapping paper in the fireplace.
- Fire Extinguisher: Keep one in your home at all times for fireplace safety.
- Christmas Trees: Do not burn Christmas trees in your fireplace. They are not seasoned properly for the fireplace or woodburning stove.
- Smoke alarms: Be sure there is one on every level of your home in good working order.
- Carbon Monoxide alarm: install one to alert you of any poison threat in your home.
- Ashes: dispose of ashes properly; especially when still warm.
- Firewood: burn only seasoned, low moisture firewood.
Posted in: Acworth Chimney Sweeps, fireplace safety