Tuesday, October 2nd, 2018
Proper cleaning and maintenance of your chimney can prevent fires. Chimney fires are explosive. Oftentimes they go unnoticed or undetected. Flames shoot from the top of the chimney. This can cause additional fires in or around the home.
Wood burning stoves and fireplaces are designed to contain wood-fueled fires while providing heat at the same time. The job of the chimney is to expel the substances produced when the wood burns. These substances include:
- Water vapor
- Unburned wood particles
- Tar fog and associated minerals.
When these substances leave the fireplace or wood stove a condensation occurs. The residue that sticks to the inner walls of the chimney is called creosote.
What is creosote?
Creosote is a crusty black residue that has a sticky, tar-like composition. It is extremely combustible and continuous build-up could result in a chimney fire. Creosote build-up can be caused by:
- Low air supply in the chimney
- Unseasoned wood
- Extremely cool chimney temperatures
How Can You Tell If Your Chimney Has Had a Fire?
A damaged chimney can endanger your home and your family. Chimney fires go undetected. You should have your chimney inspected at least once a year and especially if you use your wood stove or fireplace regularly during the winter months. Signs of a chimney fire include:
- Cracked or collapsed flue tiles
- Discolored or distorted rain cap
- The warped metal of the damper
- Creosote flakes and pieces found on the roof or ground
- Roofing material that has been damaged from hot creosote
- Crack in the exterior masonry
- Evidence of smoke escaping through mortar joints of masonry or tile liners
If you notice any of these signs contact us so that we can inspect your chimney. Advanced Chimney Sweeps, Inc. is a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep® company. We will evaluate your chimney and make recommendations to bring your system into compliance with safety standards.
Posted in: chimney fires, Chimney Sweeps, Fire Safety Tips, Fireplace Cleaning, Fireplace Tips, Uncategorized
Friday, August 31st, 2018
Fall is right around the corner. Don’t wait until the fall weather is knowing at your door before you make some much-needed adjustments to your home. September is the perfect time to prepare your space for the upcoming fall weather.
For your convenience, we have listed a few key tips for preparing your home for the fall weather:
- Expect the exterior of your home for damage. Maybe you noticed a crack in your siding or a window that doesn’t close all the way, you may want to consider putting in a work request to get those issues resolved before the cold weather. Addressing any structural problems now can prevent further issues in the future.
- Clear out your gutters. When the gutters are clogged with debris, they can’t function properly. Be sure to clean or your gutters and inspect them for any damage.
- Make sure your seal any openings to prevent pests from entering your home. Usually, pests look for warm places to nest during the colder months; you want to do what you can to ensure your home is not one of those places.
- Schedule a chimney cleaning. Over the summer, pests or debris may have found their way into your chimney. You want to be sure that your chimney is debris free so that you can enjoy a warm, cozy fire. You also want to reduce your risk of chimney fire. Chimney can occur for a variety of different reason, but one of the most common is due debris build-up.
Schedule An Appointment
Professional chimney sweeps know and practice the latest safety standards to keep you and your home safe from harmful creosote, dust, and other particles. Advanced Chimney Sweeps stays up to date with current codes and regulations throughout the North Georgia area and is fully licensed and insured to provide you with chimney service you need. To schedule an appointment, call 770.884.6475 or request an appointment online.
Posted in: chimney cap atlanta
Friday, July 27th, 2018
Chimney leaks can be detrimental to the foundation of your chimney. In advanced cases, chimney leaks can be a safety hazard for your home. In this post, we will discuss some of the ways to determine if your chimney is leaking.
Advanced Chimeny Inc offers a variety of services to repair your damaged chimney, To learn more about our service, request an appointment online.
- Missing Chimney Cover: If your chimney cover is damaged or missing, you are susceptible to experiencing chimney damage. Water, debris, and animals can enter your chimney and cause damage to the foundation.
- Improper Flashing: Flashing creates a watertight connection between the roof and chimney. Over time, the metal flashing becomes less effective and may become more susceptible to leaks.
- Cracked Brick or Mortar Joint Damage: Damaged brick or mortar joints can cause leaking. In most cases, when your brick or mortar joint is damaged, they hold in moisture more effectively.
- Damaged Chimney Crown: Rain can run through a cracked chimney crown and cause damage to the foundation. If a damaged chimney crown is left untreated, it can lead to extensive damage which may require a complete replacement of your chimney.
If you suspect your chimney might be leaking, contact a professional as soon as possible. At Advanced Chimneys Inc., we offer a full range of services to help repair or replace a damaged chimney. We recommend that homeowner undergo chimney inspections at least once a year to ensure their chimney is up to standard and running safely and effectively.
Advanced Chimney Sweeps offers free no obligation estimates along with their recommendations to address your chimney leak. Our team will create a repair plan to have your chimney up and running. To learn more about our services or to receive a free quote, contact Advacned Chimneys Inc.
Posted in: Acworth Chimney Inspection, Chimney Caps
Monday, June 18th, 2018
Keeping your home, family, and belongings safe is important to most people. Every year, thousands of people are affected by fires and carbon monoxide poisoning in their own homes. Some of these events may be avoided with a simple chimney inspection. A chimney inspection is considered a preventive measure. Whether you use your fireplace regularly, a chimney inspection can help avoid disasters and ensure your chimney is functioning properly.
Adavanced Chimneys Inc. offers a full range of chimney services. According to The National Fire Protection Association, chimneys and fireplaces should be inspected at least once a year to ensure safe operation and use. At Advanced Chimney Inc., we offer yearly chimney inspections. Our inspections include a full evaluation of the firebox, smoke chamber, flue pipes, and caps. If maintenance or a chimney sweep is needed, we provide a free estimate after your chimney inspection.
- Over time, debris and other hazardous material can accumulate in the chimney, which could lead to a chimney fire or other hazardous gases leaking into the home.
- A buildup of creosote. Creosote is a highly flammable material that is one of the leading causes of chimney fires. Creosote buildup accumulates naturally in the chimney, so it is imperative that you get it removed regularly.
- If your chimney is not used regularly, pest and birds may make their way into your chimney. Animals may choose to nest in your chimney, leaving behind nests, debris, and dirt.
- Water damage. Even your chimney can sustain water damage. It is important to check the chimney regularly for water damage, especially if your chimney is hardly used.
Schedule A Chimney Inspection
If you haven’t had your chimney inspected in a few years, it may be time to schedule an appointment. Adavnced Chimneys Inc. is a full-service chimney sweeping company located in Marietta, Georgia. We are fully licensed and insured to provide you with the chimney services you need. To learn more, contact Advanced Chimneys Inc.
Posted in: Acworth Chimney Inspection
Tuesday, May 29th, 2018
Maintaining a safe, functional chimney all year round is important for any homeowner. The seasons can be tough on your chimney so it is important that homeowners take action to keep their chimney safe from the weather conditions. Exposure to conditions like wind, humidity, and rain can impact the way your chimney functions and looks. One of the most common conditions that homeowners will experience in the spring is rain (moisture). Exposure to moisture, especially for long periods of time, can result in chimney damage.
Common Chimney Problems
- Leaking: A leaking chimney is not conducive to a warm, comfortable fire. If you notice a draft or a leak in the chimney, you should contact Advanced Chimney Sweeps. Our team at Advanced Chimney Sweeps can carefully inspect your chimney for any signs of damage and offer a treatment plan to restore your chimney.
- Rust: When the chimney is constantly exposed to moisture that does not dry properly, it may lead to rust. Rust can occur on any metal surfaces in or around your chimney. Rust may be present in the chimney flue or firebox, so be sure to check those places when looking for rust.
- Creosote Buildup: Creosote buildup can occur when the chimney is overexposed to moisture. Creosote can affect the safety of you and your home. Creosote is one of the leading causes of chimney fires. It is important that creosote is properly removed from the chimney flue. Advanced Chimney Sweeps of Atlanta, GA offer effective solutions to remove creosote from an affected chimney.
Find A Chimney Sweep in Atlanta, GA
Advanced Chimney Sweeps of Atlanta, GA offers a full range of Chimney Sweep services. We offer complete services for chimney repair and cleaning, including chimney sweeping, chimney and fireplace inspections, chimney repairs, prevention of creosote build up and the replacement of old rusted chimney caps. To learn about our Services at Advanced Chimney Sweeps of Atlanta, GA, call 770.884.6475 or schedule your service online.
Posted in: Chimney Inspection, Weather and Chimney Maintenece
Thursday, April 12th, 2018
When you are cozied up next to your fireplace, the last thing you want is a drafty chimney. The best way to avoid a drafty chimney is through regular preventive, maintenance on your chimney. Scheduling once a year preventive maintenance can save you time, money, and discomfort in the future. At Advanced Chimney Sweeps in Atlanta, GA, we offer fireplace and chimney inspections. We will send one of our highly trained techniques to carefully examine your chimney and fireplace to determine if it is safe to operate and we may recommend any service you may need to ensure your chimney and fireplace are functional.
Advanced Chimney Sweeps is a CSIA CERTIFIED CHIMNEY SWEEP COMPANY with nearly 25 years of experience. We are committed to helping each of our clients solve any issues involving their chimney or fireplace. One of the most common issues is a drafty fireplace or chimney. Below we have listed some of the most common causes of fireplace and chimney draft.
- Clogged or blocked chimney. Regular chimney sweeps can minimize your chance of developing a blocked chimney. We offer professional chimney sweeping in Atlanta, Georgia.
- The size of your chimney.
- Improperly sealed chimney or restricted air flow.
Our certified technicians are trained to spot any issues with concerning your chimney or fireplace. If you are experiencing a draft in your chimney or fireplace, contact Advanced Chimney Sweeps.
Free Chimney Repair Estimate
Contact us today for a free chimney repair estimate 770.884.6475 or REQUEST AN ESTIMATE ONLINE.
Posted in: Chimney fire safety, Drafty Chimney
Monday, February 19th, 2018
All fireplaces need some upkeep, even your gas fireplace. Keeping your gas fireplace in pristine condition can help you avoid issues in the future. Maintaining gas fireplace is less of a hassle than maintaining a traditional fireplace. However, homeowners should still take the necessary steps to keep their fireplace efficient and functional. At Advanced Chimney Sweeps in Atlanta, GA, we offer a full range of services to help keep your chimney functional, safe, and clean. We work with homeowners all around the Atlanta area to get them the fast and excellent service they need. Contact Advanced Chimney Sweeps to receive your free telephone or email estimates.
Maintaining Your Gas Fireplace
Like most areas in your home, it is important that you keep your gas fireplace clean. Whether you use your gas fireplace every day or once a year, keeping it clean is important to the function of your gas fireplace and the safety of your home. You should clean your gas fireplace at least once a month, and during that time, you should check for any damage or discrepancies in your foundation. Clean any dirt or buildup using a soft cloth. You also want to check for cracks, fractures, or dents on the doorway of your gas fireplace. Chips or fractures can be hazardous in the future if they are not properly addressed.
Chimney Sweeping in Atalanta, GA
Cleaning your gas fireplace is equally as important as having your chimney swept regularly. Most experts recommend sweeping your chimney once a year. At Advanced Chimney Sweeps we offer yearly inspections for your chimney. During your chimney inspection, our technicians will let you know if the fire box, smoke chamber, flue pipes and caps need to be replaced. We thoroughly check for damages and we also offer a detailed analysis of any services you may need to improve your chimney.
Don’t wait until you are faced with a potentially hazardous situation, contact Advanced Chimney Sweeps for your needs today. Contact us today for your free estimate.
Posted in: fireplace safety, Gas fireplace
Tuesday, January 30th, 2018
Chimney maintenance is an important part of ensuring the safety of your home and your family. Chimney maintenance is necessary to the function of your chimney to ensure it is operating effectively and safely. Without regular chimney maintenance, you may be putting you and your family at risks for carbon monoxide poisoning, chimney fires, and health issues. Contact Advanced Chimney Sweep in Atlanta, GA to schedule a routine chimney maintenance visit.
Having your chimney inspected once a year allows our technicians to provide the appropriate services needed to improve the quality of your chimney. Over time, creosote can develop in your chimney. Creosote occurs when the oils in the wood don’t burn out complete, causing a cloud of smoke to develop that mixes with the chemicals and water in the chimney which leads to the development of creosote. It is normal for creosote to develop but when it isn’t properly removed, it can lead to complications. Creosote can lead to restricted airflow, which can lead to an increased risk of creosote buildup. If creosote is not removed, it can be dangerous to your health and your home. Creosote exposure can lead to skin irritation, respiratory problems, and other health concerns. It should be noted that creosote is one of the most common reasons for chimney fires. Taking preventive measures to ensure the safety of your home and health should be an important issue to all homeowners.
Schedule Chimney Maintenance
The National Fire Protection Association recommends chimneys be inspected at least once a year. During the inspection, one of our highly trained technicians will inspect the inside and outside of your chimney and fireplace. If chimney maintenance is necessary, we will provide you with a free estimate of the services needed to address any issues with your chimney or fireplace.
Posted in: Chimney Inspection Marietta
Friday, December 22nd, 2017
As the weather gets colder, it is important to make sure your home is properly heated and insulated. Now is the perfect time to set up an appointment with Advanced Chimney Sweeps, Inc to ensure your heating system is running safely and efficiently. One of the most dangerous effects of heating systems malfunctions is carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide can wreak havoc in the home, causing symptoms like nausea, headache, discomfort and in more advanced cases, death. You want to make sure that there is the appropriate amount of airflow flowing in and out of your chimney. When hazards like creosote, small animals, and debris get stuck in your chimney, it prevents your chimney from functioning properly, which may prove hazardous in the future. A blocked chimney many require you and your family to breathe in the toxic gas or may even cause a chimney fire.
Chimney issues are avoidable through regular chimney sweeps and proper maintenance. Your safety is important to our team at Advanced Chimney Sweeps, Inc, so we work with you to get you the tools you need to stay safe and warm this winter.
Don’t wait until it is too late before you schedule a chimney inspection. Our inspection includes a detailed analysis of your fire box, smoke chamber, flue pipes and caps to ensure they are in good working conditions. Our team will also inform you if a chimney sweep or maintenance is needed. Our goal is to provide safe, functional, and reliable chimneys. With over 25 years of service, Advanced Chimney Sweeps, Inc is dedicated to helping our clients all over the North Atlanta Metro region get the help they need. We provide free estimates and work with you to get you the service you need. Schedule an appointment with Advanced Chimneys Sweeps, Inc.
Posted in: Chimney fire safety
Wednesday, November 29th, 2017
When was the last time you’ve had your chimney cleaned?
Chimney sweeping is a vital part of maintaining a functional, safe chimney. We recommend you get your chimney swept at least once a year to ensure it is safe and operational. Cleaning your chimney offers a range of benefits that allow your fires to burn naturally. At Advanced Chimney Inc., we offer chimney sweeping, chimney and fireplace inspection, and chimney repair for customers in need. We work with each client to deliver the superior customer service and provide a no-mess guarantee. Contact Advanced Chimneys Inc in Roswell, GA for your quote today!
Reasons To Sweep Your Chimney
Sweeping your chimney not only allows for your fire to burn safely, but it can also improve the quality of your fire. Taking the necessary steps to ensure your chimney isn’t causing any damage to your home or health is essential to chimney maintenance.
- Safety: When the chimney is used, it can produce creosote, a material that forms naturally during chimney use. Creosote can contribute to chimney fire if not properly removed. Cleaning your chimney regularly can remove creosote and minimize your chance of a developing a chimney fire.
- Health Hazzard: When the chimney is blocked, carbon monoxide can potentially leak into the home, causing symptoms like dizziness, headaches, fatigue, and possibly death. Also, the soot from your chimney can make its way into the home, causing respiratory issues. Scheduling a chimney sweep at least once a year allows our team to remove any blockage and ensure your chimney is cleaned properly.
Now that you know the risk don’t wait until it is too late to get your chimney cleaned. Cleaning your chimney is vital to your health and safety. Calling a certified professional to sweep your chimney can save you time, money, and a hassle in the future. Contact Advanced Chimneys Inc. for all your chimney services.
Posted in: Acworth Chimney Sweeps, Chimney fire safety