It’s the most wonderful time of the year to relax near a festive fireplace and enjoy the warmth and glow of a crackling fire. While many homeowners have decked the halls AND mantel with seasonal decorations, precautions should be taken to ensure a safe holiday fire.
Advanced Chimney Sweeps of Atlanta recommends having your chimney cleaned every year by a licensed professional to be sure that it is functioning properly and free of safety hazards. A clean chimney can prevent house fires as well as exposure to danger creosote smoke and vapor. During cleaning, a chimney should also be checked for structural damage or cracks in the flue lining which can also cause house fires.
In addition to a clean chimney, follow these Fireplace Safety Tips this holiday and all year long…
- Holiday Decorations & Packages: keep them at a distance. Do not place them near any fire source.
- Wrapping Paper: Do not burn boxes, garbage or wrapping paper in the fireplace.
- Fire Extinguisher: Keep one in your home at all times for fireplace safety.
- Christmas Trees: Do not burn Christmas trees in your fireplace. They are not seasoned properly for the fireplace or woodburning stove.
- Smoke alarms: Be sure there is one on every level of your home in good working order.
- Carbon Monoxide alarm: install one to alert you of any poison threat in your home.
- Ashes: dispose of ashes properly; especially when still warm.
- Firewood: burn only seasoned, low moisture firewood.
Enjoy your safe and festive holiday fire by taking the proper precautions this holiday season.
Got questions about your chimney and it’s need for a cleaning? Contact us today for an free estimate. Advanced Chimney Sweeps of Marietta Georgia wishes you a safe and happy holiday season.